Monday, September 19, 2011

Do/Do Not

Montreal ladies have been getting busy... Myrtle and Pearls (superfox Genevieve Savard) just released her look book for next season: http://myrtleandpearls.blogspot.com/2011/09/catalogue-look-book.html


She's also got lots of hot treats on her Etsy page here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/GenevieveSavard?ref=top_trailhttp://www.etsy.com/shop/GenevieveSavard?ref=top_trail.

I also hear that Ursa Minor Studio (Elizabeth Hudson, who I miss like crazy ALL THE TIME) is launching some new pieces to make me die from all the wanting (handcut leather skirt, once my Europe debt is less life threatening, you will be MINE. We were made for each other... don't fight it.)

Skirt preview:
AMAZING! GIVE ME THAT!
http://ursaminorstudio.blogspot.com/

Talented babes.

These are not Ursa Minor, they are Miu Miu, but look at how much I should have these for fall times:

And I also just want you to look at my favorite line ever; Boudoir Queen:



If I could pull off this aesthetic, I would buy out this whole collection and dress like this every day: http://www.theboudoirqueen.com/


Speaking of talented babes, still haven't totally recovered from the screening of The Passion of Joan of Arc at the new Metro theatre (formerly the Garneau). The film itself was beautiful. Filmed in 1928 by director Carl Theodor Dreyer, featuring an unknown street performer as the lead (who apparently had an emotional breakdown afterward and never appeared in another film ever again... ROMANTIC!), it is all oppressive camera angles, expressive faces.

The soundtrack, played live by Smokey and crew, was the part that was really a gutpunch though. God, they did it just right. I am so fucking haunted. I actually almost had to leave at one point. The film was so weighted with heavy anxiety and the musicians were not going to make it any easier on us and it got hard to breathe. I hope that they are freaking out about how talented they are right now. They held everyone in that theatre captive for an hour and a half, and then turned everyone into the street with their heavy feelings. We all had to have a howling smash dance party afterward, to recover.

Remember these awesome guys? This band was my favorite circa 2001:



On Friday I did my girlfriendly duty and worked the merch table for Christian Hansen and the Autistics at the Dinwoodie. The most hilarious part of the night was that there was this guy there who kept telling me over and over that he was on The Bachelorette, and then telling me that he wanted to beat up all of the nerdy university kids there (he called them something else that I shall not repeat). He gave me a beer after that, which was confusing, because I was fairly openly hostile, but he's one of those dudes that mistakes a lady stuck behind a merch table for a lady who's hanging out nearby because she is SUPER INTERESTED in hearing about your reality TV career. 

(I googled him and he WAS actually on The Bachelorette: http://www.starsofreality.com/Bachelorette-Contestants-2011-16965472?page=0,0,10

He got kicked off part way through the first episode.

Anyway, at the end of the night he decided he was going to teach me how to hustle tshirts, because I was apparently not trying hard enough to scam school kids out of their money and I had to get pretty clear about what I thought about that and he oozed off into the night.

Kind of depressing though, it seems like reality TV contestants are the new child stars. Like, really? Being on a spin-off show (that I think no one watches? Does anyone watch that show?) for 20 minutes defines your whole life now? Even though that guy was saying awful things and being really irritating, that is still really sad.


Ok. Here we are. The end.
It is beautiful autumn out now, and you know what that means? It means pass me the carbs, it's almost hibernating time. Sweet potato season is upon us and I, for one, am going to take advantage. Sorry vegans, this one's not for you, unless you want to sub the sour cream.


Sweet Potato Wedges with Ginger Dipping Sauce

·  2 lbs sweet potatoes, scrubbed and unpeeled
·  3 tbsp olive oil
·  1 tsp each Chinese five-spice, ground cumin, and ground coriander
·  1 1/2 tsp salt
·  Pinch cayenne pepper
·  2/3 cup sour cream
·  1 tsp ground ginger
·  1 tsp smoked paprika
·  1 tbsp honey
·  1 tbsp fresh lime juice
·  Preheat oven to 425 deg. F.
·  Cut potatoes into equal-size wedges. Toss wedges with oil and spices and season with salt. Spread on a baking sheet.
·  Bake in the middle of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender and golden-coloured. Turn wedges over after 15 minutes.
·  For dipping sauce, stir together sour cream, ginger, paprika, honey and lime juice in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve with wedges.

Yum! Let's get so chubby together, bundle up in blankets and snuggle!

1 comment:

  1. awww thanks for the shout out. i really want those miu miu booties too!

    ReplyDelete