Thursday, January 19, 2012

Seasonal Affectation Disorder

You should listen to this:



This is Julia Holter and for a slowjam, this song rules pretty hard. I guess I'd better take advantage of being allowed to post music while I can.

Also these munchkins make me pretty happy with their smashing. I think they are zygotes, which is great. Just imagine how good they'll be by the time their balls drop:



In light of the HEAVY FEELINGS of that last post, I think I am not really going to write about anything in particular. In case you can't tell.

I managed to solve all home decorating problems with a single purchase. This isn't exactly it, but it is pretty close:


That is wallpaper. If you need me, I'll be sucking back Mai-tais and bouncing on the couch in a coconut bra. Set up the bubble you want to live in and fucking live in it, I say.

Speaking of denial, look how awesome these are:
If only I'd found these before Christmas. There isn't really anyone I can think of that I don't want to buy these for, including myself.  (They are from Jack Spade).

I can't tell if it is embarrassing or not that I like this, but I like it. Does the awesomeness of Patti Smith make up for the Bono-ness of Bono? Let's debate.


I remember really liking the original version of this song when it came out, which I probably shouldn't confess (in my defense, I think I was 11). Anyway, Patti Smith is awesome and I wish I had actually figured that out earlier. Even though I knew on paper all the great stuff she did, I remember seeing the cover of Horses in my mom's collection (I think? In someone's collection...) and thinking she looked like a Ricky Lee Jones type of singer-songwriter, chucking her record aside in favour of Led Zeppelin, and even now 25 years later, I've had to be inexplicably dragged kicking and screaming out of that little kid assumption that I made.



Are you ready to look at some beautiful things?
Look at this store (London friends, this won't excite you, sorry.): Merchant Archive. Give me everything.

Ok, I am going to go be a good little worker bee. xo!

Oh yeah. Recipe. I don't know about you but I just want to eat spicy soup and bread when the weather gets Siberian. Here's a bread recipe I want to try. Lots of internet bakers say it is the best bread they've ever made. Enjoy!:

Honey Wheat Bread

Ingredients

  • 1 (.25 ounce) package rapid rise yeast
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup melted shortening
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 2 tablespoons butter

Directions

  1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water.
  2. Combine milk, 1/4 cup water, shortening, honey, salt and wheat flour in food processor or bowl. Mix in yeast mixture, and let rest 15 minutes. Add bread flour, and process until dough forms a ball. Knead dough by processing an additional 80 seconds in food processor, or mix and knead by hand 10 minutes. Place the dough in a buttered bowl, and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise for 45 minutes, or until almost doubled.
  3. Punch down, and divide dough in half. Roll out each half, and pound out the bubbles. Form into loaves, and place in buttered 9x5 inch bread pans. Butter the tops of the dough, and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm area until doubled; second rise should take about 30 minutes.
  4. Place a small pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  5. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until tops are dark golden brown. Butter crusts while warm. Slice when cool.

6 comments:

  1. That wallpaper could solve anyone's seasonal depression!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right? I can't wait for my living room to be a tropical paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really happy you are in awe of the marvel of Patti Smith. If I can recommend a great read for you: Just Kids by Patti Smith. It's a fantastic early account of her time in New York City. Her rise up from a book store clerk to poet to now. We're all *fucked up, only our words are not the same.

    **Disclaimer: I think this weather is getting me down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if the weather is getting you down, you'd better come over to look at my tropical wallpaper mural and drink fruity rum drinks, obviously.

      I read Just Kids while I was in Germany last year, and I think it is what made me get serious about my late-in-life love for Patti Smith. I really hope everyone in the world reads that book.

      Delete
  4. http://paddyk.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/bono210.jpg

    ReplyDelete