Sunday, September 19, 2010

I Wanna Be Domesticated

A grey, shitty, cold Sunday afternoon:

(again)

So, I know we are freezing and pissed off about this weather. It is Sunday, we are all paying the piper for whatever fun we had yesterday (dear everyone who could afford the Helmet/Bison B.C. show last night, I hope you have whiskeyshits all day, jerks.), desperately snuggling up to our pets, hoping they'll make us feel better instead of just shedding all over our gross Sunday sweatpants.

Dire fucking times, pals. 

To make myself feel better I decided to make cute lunch for my beloved and I and it worked!  Making stuff from scratch seems like an accomplishment, and having it be delicious feels like a triumph and having a warm inside to counteract this BOGUS weather outside seems like I am delivering a well-earned fuck you to mother nature, who's been doing us all so wrong since spring.  So I want to share.  Here are the recipes.  Make good food.  Feel nicer.

Parsnip and Pear Soup

You'll need:
2 lbs of parsnips, ends trimmed, peeled
1 medium red onion, peeled & quartered
2 cloves of garlic, whole & unpeeled
salt and pepper (go easy on the salt in this one, trust me)
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large or 2 medium pears, peeled and cubed
2 cups of low sodium stock
1-2 Tbsp minced fresh thyme or parsley
(The original recipe said there is an option to add 1/4 cup of heavy cream, but it is super good without it, and also happens to be Vegan without it if you care about that, so I say SKIP IT.)
Also, this is not in the recipe, but I added a little sploosh of white wine and it was totally awesome, so I recommend splooshing some white wine if you have any around.

Okay, here is what you do:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F).  Place parsnips, onion and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt & pepper & olive oil.  Toss to coat.

Roast for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned.  Remove pan from oven.  Set aside for 10 minutes.  Cut parsnips into chunks and put into a pot with onion, peeled garlic, pear & stock.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to simmer, and cook uncovered until pear is tender (5 minutes-ish).  Add herbs, cook 5 minutes more.  Use immersion blender to puree.  Add salt & pepper.  Serve hot.

---------------------------

Okay let's take a break to watch this awesome video and listen to this awesome band, ok?  Be careful, I have not yet determined if the video is trying to convince me to join a cult or not....  The band is so great though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfcHq0hhFWg&feature=channel

Right?  So awesome. 


I really should learn how to embed videos.  Add it to the list, grandma.
So.  I was going to type out another recipe, but I don't really feel like it anymore.  Make biscuits that have something delicious baked into the middle.  You can do it.  The internet can help you, but not this internet, because I am bored with that now.

What else....?

Oh, I have been making fancy undies, sleep accessories, robes, costumes, pasties, etc in anticipation of this winter's Royal Bison, and also in the hopes that someday I will get my shit scraped together and get my Etsy page running.  I am really excited about some of the stuff that has come out of this endeavour, and I hope some other people will be too.  Otherwise I have 250 pairs of ruffly underwear on my hands.  Feck.  Photos soon.  In the mean time, look at these things:

You know that library smell that is THE GREATEST?  Some genius bottled it.  Seriously.  I hope they make a plug-in air scenter thing.

Dear anyone who likes me and wishes for my happiness.  Give me everything Gisele Ganne has ever made.  Thank you.

Skulls.  I can't get enough of them.  Check this guy out.

So that's that for now, I think.

Also I have this new blog now.

xo
Motorjoan.

No comments:

Post a Comment