Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I think I got someone fired today, for sending racist emails.

Okay.  Time to get serious.

I started crocheting this blanket last night and it is going to be fucking AWESOME.  I am not even going to stick 'if I do say so myself' on that because I can totally tell already that if somebody else made the blanket that I am making I would yell about how awesome it is.  (maybe even with a little bit of dog hair stitched right into it, lucky whoever recieves it).  For real. I'll take some photos tonight and maybe post them tomorrow.   Anyway, I am getting pretty good at making stuff while reading internet this and that, and on the subject of blankets, I happened across some things that were pretty amazing.  Luke Haynes, for example.  I don't know why, in this day and age, it is still delightful and surprising that Luke is a man-quilter, but I was delighted and surprised by that.  Then I forgot all about that because PLEASE LOOK AT HOW AWESOME HIS SHIT IS:



This next one has completely topped my want list (and only sort of because this dog looks like Hector).  I totally dig the warped stitching around the dog, like he's ripping through time and space, as his expression indicates he is intending to do.
Bed burger.

 Dude quilt.  Love it.  Dig that shadow.

Oh man.



According to Luke's site, his collections include Man Stuff, American Nostalgia, Self-portraits, Flightless Birds, Objects & Accessories.
Really good textile art makes my pulse race.  Seriously. 
(via If It's Hip, It's Here)

I found a bunch of other ones but now I am sick of talking about blankets.  Sorry.  Check out Quiltsryche here: http://www.quiltsryche.com/  A little sugary, but check out the one called "I'm a Weiner" and the skull eating the alphabet!

Hot: Drummers.  Gahd.  I have dated almost exclusively drummers (sometimes on purpose, and sometimes I swear I had no idea) since I was 18, and I am not even going to TELL you how many years that has been, but I will tell you that I consider myself something of an expert on the subject, so  here is a short list of my favorite drummers.  (favorite/nailable, same/same.  I love objectifying talented people).  Not of all time.  Just of today.  I will not commit to this list.

Coady Willis - Big Business, The Melvins, Tight Bros, Murder City Devils etc.etc.etc.

John Stanier - Helmet, Battles, Tomohawk (any of you who saw the end of that Battles show a few years ago know what I am talking about). Pow.

Jack White doing anything is hot (except creating boring super-bands. Stop that, Jack)  Jack White drumming is a total panty explosion.  Observe:



I really don't have the attention span to be a very good blogger.  I am already tired of finding images and I haven't even gotten past the super obvious ones yet.  Can we just say that drummers are awesome?  Yes.  Okay.  My apologies for not getting to the awesome lady drummers.  There are many. 

Gazing at Jack White made me think of Detroit which made me think of these photos of Detroit decay.  (Sorry these were on my facebook recently, but I can never find anything on that damn site.)  Anyway, these were taken by French photographers Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre, and they are sad, beautiful, haunting, SPECTACULAR.  It almost never seems like a good idea to move to Detroit and live in a derelict building, but while you are flipping through that gallery, I guarantee you it will cross your mind. 

I wonder if people ever design buildings so that they will rot beautifully. 

Not in fucking Edmonton, Alberta, they don't.  That's for sure.

What else did I say I was going to write today?  Oh, a rant about band dudes and my Spring Want List.  Hmm.  (yawn).  I am going to get a little bit of office job work done first and see if I feel like doing that in a bit.

In the mean time, here is a recipe you should make.  They look kinda gnarly, but are delicious, and I guarantee you will eat all of them and get totally farty:


Kale Chips
1 bunch of kale
2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tsp salt
  • Preheat oven to 200
  • Wash kale thoroughly and let dry
  • Tear kale away from stem. Each kale leaf should be torn into about 6 or eight pieces
  • Place kale, salt, olive oil and lemon into a bowl and mix together with your hands, gently massaging the kale with the oil, lemon and salt
  • Lay kale out on a cookie sheet or pizza pan
  • Place in over and set timer for 30 minutes
  • At 30 minutes, remove from oven and gently unstick kale from pan if it has stuck and replace for another 10-15 minutes until kale is dry and crispy
  • Allow to cool. Can store in fridge for up to a week

xo
Love, your pal Amelia

P.s. Get riled!  http://www.gigcity.ca/2011/03/26/arts-haven-loses-lease-landlord-says-it-doesnt-fit-in/  via Fish Griwkowsky

3 comments:

  1. Add nutritional yeast to your kale chip mixture for extra B12!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All buildings are designed to last FOREVER!! Or rot hideously, out of spite. Oh, spite.

    I want kale chips.

    You win!

    I am "synonym for glad that is better than glad" that you are blogging again.

    ReplyDelete