Friday, February 6, 2015

Omnia Vanitas, Baby

HI! This thing again.

I had to change the name. That last one was TERRIBLE and the one before got someone else's fingerprints all over it and wasn't fun anymore. Let's see if this one sticks. I think it is suitably dour-sounding for one little storm cloud yelling into the void (I roll my eyes at myself to save you the trouble). Also D (hilariously) bought me this for our first anniversary (awwwwww) so I may as well just make it my slogan:

This is made by Pyrrha. It is beautiful and wildly inappropriate for an anniversary present. 


Omnia vanitas, baby. 

(It means All is Emptiness, if you are too lazy to go over to Google Translate. As I would be.)

Obviously procrastination levels are CRITICAL right now, so I have been spending hundreds of hours practicing my francais on Duolingo and have decided to revive my never-read blog from twelve years ago or whatever. Good job. Also watching every period drama and art documentary on Netflix. I have technically been an adult for half my life now. I keep waiting for the time to arrive where I feel really motivated to have my shit together, but it keeps not arriving. I am starting to suspect that this is just what I am like. It could be worse, I guess, but I have wasted a lot of time waiting for some sort of certificate of arrival into grown-ass-ladyhood and now I suddenly feel like there is a lot of pressure to get done all the things I have always said I would get done. 

Here are things that have happened recently:
I quit my job.
I decided FUCK IT, I am moving to France. 
I had to start another job. (and realized that I have to stop administratively supporting other people who are actually doing the shit that I want to be doing. Arts admin and art making are nowhere near the same thing. Also, sitting at a desk is making me die. Stay tuned for more questionable decisions on the  employment front.)
I talked D into selling our condo. Moved into a new apartment that we don't own so that we are free to move to France.
I got a big wad of grant money for The Lad Mags to tour Europe with Betrayers (May/June this year! Europe buddies let's hang!)
I got talked into being the Artistic Director of the Golden West Music Fest again. (This is actually a nice thing. I love that festival, even though it eats every spare second of my time and means that I have to have endless uncomfortable conversations with people that I really like about why I can't book their band). 
I got super scared about moving to France. 
I decided FUCK IT, being scared is no reason not to move to France. 

So, we are moving to France. Holy shit. 

More things that happened recently:
The Lad Mags released a 7" that I am happy and proud about, and then our friend Fish Griwkowsky made a really lovely video for it. Sorry for the self-promo, but we worked really hard on these things and I am pretty proud of them:  

We also recorded a bunch of new stuff for the next record. Exciting! There is no better feeling than forward momentum. 
 - End Self-Promotion-  (Lo siento, buds)


The other day the weather was crappy and it put me in kind of a mood, and I was sitting at my desk at work feeling kind of anxious that maybe I am as weird in real life as I feel in my head and that maybe I just alienate everyone all the time and people are secretly super bummed when they have to hang out with me. Then I seriously actually thought "at least I am not as weird as Gowan. I bet it would be way worse if I was that weird." Actual true coping mechanism, courtesy of my brain. Jesus. 

But Gowan is pretty fucking weird. 



Ok, anyway, brief internet roundup:

Here is a photo of a couple splitting up their Beanie Babies in front of a Divorce Court judge in 1999:
REALLY. 

I am pretty sure all the problems in my life would be solved if I had this dress:


I accidentally ran out of time to finish this post, but here are a couple of quality jams and I will probably do this again soon:

2 comments: